Packing for the Dorms
Moving into your dorm is an exciting part of college life!
For many of you, this will be your first time living away from home.
You should expect some changes, so try to be flexible and open to mixing up your familiar routine.
TIPS FOR PACKING
You may not be able to fit years’ worth of accumulated clothing in your dorm room.
We recommend bringing mostly seasonal clothing with you and trading out your wardrobes when you go home for Break–however, keep in mind that Missouri weather can change quickly, so it’s a good idea to always keep a variety of clothes in your dorm.
We recommend marking or engraving valuable items such as computers, video game systems, bicycles, TVs and expensive calculators with your name. You may also consider keeping record of your valuable items’ serial numbers or receipts, if possible.
Check with your or your guardian’s insurance policy to see if its personal property/renters’ insurance covers your belongings while living on campus.
WHAT TO BRING
This is our list of recommended belongings to make your life on-campus comfortable and practical.
You are not required to bring any of these items.
- Bowls and plates
- Cups and mugs
- Toaster Oven
- Grill that closes when cooking
- Coffee maker
- Can opener
- Microwave (if you are in a traditional single or double room)
- Mini-fridge (if you are in a traditional single or double room)
- Sheets for a twin XL, 36″ X 80″
- Mattress pad
- Pillow cases
- Extra blankets
- Tote/carrier for your toiletries
- Shower shoes
- Bathmat (if in an Apartment, Suite or Quad)
- Toilet paper (for Apartment, Suite and Quad residents)
- Laundry basket or bag
- Laundry detergent
- Iron and mini-ironing board
- Disinfectant cleaner
- Common over-the-counter medications for fever, headache, etc.
- Cleaning supplies
- Extra waste basket (every style of housing comes with one waste basket)
- Recycling basket
- 3M adhesive poster strips to hang pictures/posters (thumb tacks for quads)
- School supplies (notebooks, pens, pencils, etc.)
- Bicycle with durable lock
- Extra bags/totes
WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME
Please leave the following list of items at home.
These are considered “prohibited” materials, and this list is non-negotiable.
- Firearms and/or weapons
- Candles or Candle Warmers
- Open-coil burners (such as hot plates)
- Alcohol and/or alcohol containers
- Tobacco/vape products
Please note that we are a tobacco/vape/cigarette-free campus and a “dry” campus, which means that drinking alcohol and/or smoking on-campus is prohibited.
DECORATING YOUR ROOM
Please keep in mind while decorating your room that you cannot use nails or screws to fasten decorations to your walls. To put up posters/pictures, use adhesives that can be easily removed without peeling paint off the wall. We recommend using 3M adhesive peel strips or reusable putty. If you are living in the Quads, you are permitted to use thumb-tacks instead of peel strips (due to a difference in wall structure).
CLEANING YOUR ROOM
We provide trash bags for you no matter which resident accommodation you are in.
You are able to check-out vacuums, brooms/dust pans and mops to help you clean your room as needed.